onsdag 29. desember 2010

Leave me alone, gratifying you is not how I roll

So, I have been thinking a lot about whether or not I am a "bitch", way too sensitive and/or coming off as a total manhater every time I reject male attention. Especially, this is something that happens when I go out drinking and dancing.
The problem is not the obvious cases. If men are fucking rude to me, people tend to be sympathetic. But a lot of the time, it is a lot more subtle. It is stuff that can be perceived as "positive attention".
It is "just compliments". It is me needing to "stop being so hard on him, he is just finds you attractive". It is "well, it was really rude of you to reject him so obviously, so of course he got angry." It is "it is kind of offensive how you complain so much just because other people find you attractive."

Trouble is, it has nothing to do with me "being pretty" or "hating attention". I like attention.

I do not like obvious lying, or attempts at tricking me into having sex, or creeps who refuse to take a hint.
Which is why I tend to be quite frank about my lack of desire to have any kind of sexual relations with the guys who are trying to make me feel guilty if I leave after they buy me drinks, or tell me that they want to cook me dinner or that "you're so beautiful", "are you aware that I am really beautiful?" et fucking cetera.
Or when I'm dancing and someone starts grinding on me, I push him away, only to have him grinding on me again 30 seconds later. I tend to elbow. Hard. Even if "maybe he just did not understand".
Or when guys refuse to leave me alone when I am clearly talking to or dancing with my friends. When they do not leave when I ask them to, when they keep talking to me, or trying to touch me when I am not giving them any reason to belive that their attention is wanted in any way.

And this is not even touching into the casual rudeness of: "you're such a pretty girl, why do you make yourself so ugly" (I've gotten that A LOT recently, presumably because I have part of my hair shaved off, occasional black lip stick and an angry expression on my face) or "your tits look good".


Look, I might be a bitch, if you define bitch as having my own intrests and reasons for going out (often things that have nothing to do with the menz I might meet), and as having little patience with men thinking that I somehow owe them attention, or a smile, or "being nice" or my time or sex just for being there, being fuckable and receiving their attention.

Getting attention is nice, if it is respectful, and gives me a chance to leave or reject it if I am not interested in them or sex or men in general, and does not think it somehow makes me obligated to give attention back.

When these guys do not leave, even if I am signalling that I do not want them there or telling them that I do not want them there, that might very well be because they "do not understand."
But they "do not understand" because they do not want to understand, and they do not try to understand, and they DO NOT CARE. Attention from someone that clearly DOES NOT CARE whether or not I am intrested in it or DOES NOT CARE if it is making me uncomfortable or not is crappy attention. It reaks of entitlement to my body, and my time, and my "niceness". See, it is obivious that they feel entitled to me when they ignore my signals and my words. And even more obvious when they get angry when I reject them, or tell them off, or elbow them (if they are trying to get physical with me by grinding against me, I think being physical back is acceptable). If it was lighthearted attention, they would respect my rejection, and move on.

So I will continue being "bitchy" until guys stop assuming that I somehow owe them my time, just because they're "nice" enough to find me fuckable.

1 kommentar:

  1. this is totally how i feel. i used to a long time ago not even be bothered by it, even flattered by it. i guess because i only started getting male attention at the age of 17, i always felt ugly and awkward before that. but now i am so sick of it. i cant go anywhere or do anything without a guy making a comment or trying to touch me. fuck. if i dont know you dont fucking touch me and do you think im going to be flattered that you think my only purpose is to stand here and look good for you. ugh. sick of most men. and dont even get me started on the "nice guys" who go on about how girls only like jerks and no one ever likes nice guys...and then try it on with you but wont take no for an answer.

    SvarSlett